Thursday, 18 August 2011

A week of Bunting and Birthdays

Its been a bunting week this week.  I have sewed miles of it. Has the world gone bunting mad? It is gorgeous though, just thinking about it makes me smile - happiness on a string!.
Purple bunting is now back in stock.
I have sewn lots of bespoke bunting which is always a lovely job.  I made one mad length of random upcycled mismatched fabrics that I love so much I will introduce something similar to the website soon.
I made another length out of some of my stock fabrics with some additional flags made from beautiful cushion covers the client wanted to recycle.
The youngest member of our household was 7 this weekend - a very special age to be of course, so grown up! Now I am no Jane Asher, sugarcraft is not my thing,  but I did discover a book in my local library called Complete Cake Decorating by Angela Nilsen & Sarah Maxwell.  It has ideas that need not too much skill to get a decent result.  Here is a photo of my mermaid cake that is not perfect but all the 7 year olds were very impressed with.  One of those rare "I am such a great Mum" moments.    
Had a fabulous day at the Shrewsbury Flower Show for a birthday treat, even staying for the fantastic late night fireworks.  Could have done with them going off the next afternoon - may just about have drowned out the noise of  half a dozen 7 year old guests having fun in the garden - boy can girls scream. Yes a party in the garden at last.  You would think a mid August birthday would be pretty much assured some decent weather but this is the first in 7 years.  Every other year it has monsooned - I have video of a bouncy castle floating around my lawn like a boat in a rather ferocious thunder storm one year.
The only thing to ruin a perfect birthday was the fact that daddy won the family sunflower growing competition - again.  Four years running.  We are sure there must be some foul play going on - he must sneak out at night with extra liquid feed or something. To be fair it is a pretty good sunflower - given that he is 6 foot 2 you can see it is a fair size. Next year will be my year I am sure of it. Anyone got any secret tips?
For more crafting blogs follow the link to Handmade Monday

1 comment:

  1. I love that you have a sunflower growing competition :-) You could try what my little brother did in his sunflower growing competition at school, sneak in during lunchtime and cut everyone else's sunflowers at the base - you win by default :-) Not that I condone cheating (unless it is for a really good cause!!)

    ReplyDelete